Steam Carpet Cleaning Tips
Steam carpet cleaning is an ideal way to keep your carpets in good condition, and can easily be done using domestic equipment. There are lots of things you can do to make the process easier and more effective, and this article will summarise some of the best steam carpet cleaning tips around, which should hopefully help you keep your carpets tip-top! Before we look at what you can do, though, let’s look at why you need to.
Why You Should Steam Clean Your Carpets
A carpet will have a lifespan of anywhere between 5 and 25 years depending on its quality, use, and how well you take care of it. If you purchase a standard carpet and rely simply on vacuuming it to keep it clean, it will likely look good and stay in good condition for about 5 years; after 5 years, it will begin to deteriorate as dirt reaches deeper into the carpet fibres and breaks them down. The carpet will then start to look darker, dirtier, and could start ripping or shedding in patches – at which point your only option is to replace it, which isn’t cheap.
By steam cleaning your carpets at annually, you will prolong its lifespan by several years – you may even double it – and ensure that it looks great for much longer. It also gets rid of allergens, which is important if you suffer from asthma or allergies, or if you have children.
Steam Carpet Cleaning Tips
With that out of the way, let’s take a look at some practical steam carpet cleaning tips that will help keep your carpets in top condition for several years to come:
- This should go without saying, but make sure that you vacuum your carpets regularly – at least once a week – as this will remove superficial dirt and ensure that it doesn’t work its way deeper into the carpet.
- Remove stains as soon as you spot them – we all spill drinks, drop food, and occasionally walk on the carpet with shoes on when we’re in a rush to get something before heading out. All of this can lead to stains appearing on your carpet, and a great way to keep your carpet looking good is to remove these with a spot stain remover as soon as they appear.
- Steam clean your carpet at least every 12 to 18 months – the majority of carpet manufacturers will advise that you deep clean their carpets within this period of time, and they do it for a reason. This is possibly the most important steam cleaning tip I have to give, as it’s vital to your carpet’s health.
- Vacuum before you steam – this will remove superficial dirt and make your steam carpet cleaning faster and more efficient.
- Treat your carpet with an anti-staining solution after you’ve steamed cleaned it – this will stop your carpet from soaking up liquids and staining as easily.
Those are my steam carpet cleaning tips, and while largely based in common-sense, they are possibly the best 5 steps you can take towards keeping your carpets healthy and looking fresh.