Is The Chemicals Used In Steam Carpet Cleaning Dangerous
Normally, cleaning a carpet is not a difficult task if you have the knowhow, the right equipment, and the appropriate chemicals. When it comes to chemicals, you can either use the commercially available or the homemade detergents to help in your carpet cleaning tasks. Generally, a clean and fresh smelling carpet can provide a stylish look and elegance for your office or home. As such, it is important to properly clean up and maintain your carpet. Most of us often use expensive commercial cleaning chemicals to serve this purpose. Now the question is; is the chemicals used in steam carpet cleaning dangerous?
Some of the available commercial chemicals are potentially harmful, especially to the health of the children and the pets. This being so, it is not a bad idea to try out the harmless homemade cleaners to assist with the steam cleaning of the carpet. These are equally effective in helping to remove the dirt and stains that are stuck onto the carpet, as well as removing odours from it. Apart from this, they are quite cheap as well as friendly to the environment.
Homemade steam carpet cleaning chemicals
- Vinegar and water: One of the most effective homemade carpet cleaners present today is vinegar mixed with water. Typically, vinegar contains acetic acid, an ideal agent useful in cleaning up and removing odours from a carpet. To remove the stains, mix a small amount of white vinegar with water and apply it to the stain using a soft brush and let it to dry completely. Once dried, vacuum the carpet. You will notice that the stain has completely disappeared. You can also use this mixture in a steam carpet cleaning machine for the effective removal of dirt particles, dust and stains on a carpet.
- Detergent mixture with vinegar: This homemade chemical mixture is very effective in cleaning up and removing odours from the carpet. Mix equal parts of vinegar and detergent in warm water. Use a brush for application or use the mixture in a vacuum cleaning machine.
- Baking soda and essential oils: These chemical mixtures are effective in eliminating bad smells. Mix the ingredients together and then sprinkle on the carpet. Leave it there for 20-30 minutes then vacuum clean the carpet.
- Borax, vinegar and salt: This homemade chemical mixture is very effective when it comes to removing stubborn stains. Additionally, you can add a few drops of lemon juice to make a more potent stain remover.
- Detergent and ammonia mixture: Ammonia by itself is a strong cleaner. However, when used combined with detergents, it becomes even more effective. However, wear protective gloves to protect your skin when applying ammonia. This homemade chemical mixture can either be used manually or with machine cleaning.
- Baking soda, bay leaves and corn flour: Leave the mixture on the carpet for a whole night, then either steam vacuum clean it or vacuum clean it the normal way.
In conclusion, when considering the question: is the chemicals used in steam carpet cleaning dangerous? The answer is variable. All home made cleaning chemical are good for your carpet but dangerous if handled carelessly. This applies to all types of cleaning chemicals, whether homemade or commercial. All of them must be handled with due care and applied appropriately so as to avoid probable damages from occurring.